Surrendering on FeedBurner

FeedBurnerBack in 2005 I fell in love with FeedBurner, a simple web tool that sanitized RSS feeds, provided some promotion tools, added some tracking capabilities and very interestingly gave my followers a unique RSS URL they could subscribe to which would follow my blog regardless where I hosted it.

The tool itself was neat and simple, every now and then the service was down, but it was not really painful: Google Reader plays well with retries, and a delay serving your feed is not the end of the world.

The tool became more and more popular among bloggers, and in 2007 Google announced they acquired FeedBurner. Many people were very excited: it was obvious that it would really improve stability, Reader integration and what not.

But that was far from reality. They completely forgot about the tool. Left it in an almost unmaintained status that made it really painful to use. A few months afterwards they decided to integrate it with their Google Account subsystem. But nothing changed: no new features, annoying bugs, etc.

Today, I decided to stop using it: I discovered that since I switched into SSL by default, FeedBurner would not refresh my entries. Apparently they have a bug that prevents them from crawling some HTTPs based hosts. This bug has been around for more than a year, and it is still unfixed.

I really want to avoid adding an exception to my webserver to allow FeedBurner to crawl my feed without SSL, so, from now on, I’m taking over my canonical feed URL. And I keep my fingers crossed so FeedBurners 301 redirection to my URL will keep working after the deletion (that’s one of the features they have).

From now on, the canonical feed URL is: https://davidpoblador.com/feed